Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Poll: should a dog have a sheet or bed in a crate? yes or no and why?

Any dog needs to have something in the crate - not for comfort so much, but lying directly on the metal tray/floor is damaging to their elbows. Since a lot of dogs chew or play with beds, the best thing to use is an old blanket -- something you don't mind getting walked on and getting possibly chewed on and dog fur all over; and something that you can easily throw into the washing machine every couple of days. Poll: should a dog have a sheet or bed in a crate? yes or no and why?
I used old blankets until she was potty trained - simply because it's easier to wash old stuff OR pitch it when she had accidents. If you use one of those comfy expensive beds and the dog pees or poos on them... well, they're hard to clean off and may even get damaged in the laundry. I would also worry about some of the ones that have zippers or decor on them - pups love to chew!





Now that she's potty trained she has a comfy blanket and a cushy mat in her crate. She tends to play with the bigger beds so she doesn't have one at all.Poll: should a dog have a sheet or bed in a crate? yes or no and why?
yes, it helps cushion the plastic tray. Also if the crate is set somewhere where the flooring is cold this will help keep your dog warm. It also cushions the dog's joints. HOWEVER, if you have a St. Bernard or something large and hairy like that you might not need anything too cushiony. We use folded quilts for our boxer, rotties, our newfie has a sheet.
Yes, I would think a bed that fits in the crate nicely would work best, especially if this is where your dog sleeps at night. I think that it would be more comfortable for the dog than just lying in the bottom of a hard plastic crate.
Put the comfy warm bed inside the crate - the pet store sells ones sized exactly to the crate. I put an extra blankie in there too for my Boston Terrier to burrow under. She loves it!
It depends on the dog. I would give any of my older dogs blankets if they still used crates because they would not disturb them.


I would give my Great Pyrenees one if I didn't think she would chew it up.


I wouldn't ever give my shih tzu one because I think he'd pee on it.
this depends on the dog. if it is a chewer, then no. the dog may swallow something and the you are looking a possible serious problem. if the dog dose not chew on everything, then i do give them a bed.:)
If you can - I can't see why not...particularly if it's their ';bed'; for the night... my dogs chewed up their beds, pillows, towels, etc. even with a chew toy (and I tried an unbelievable number of toys)
If the dog is large or old then a bed is appropriate. Younger dogs and smaller breeds don't need the bedding so much.
Yes, you could buy beds at the pet store. Or you could try a big fluffy blanket. Be ready to refold it every day, though. Dogs love beds! Pillows too!
i always put a bed in for my dog just beacause she slept in there and when we werent home she was in her crate...it seemed more comfy than just a sheet....

No comments:

Post a Comment